Apply now for a free trip to NICAR17 in Jacksonville
The California Civic Data Coalition is awarding a travel scholarship to world’s premier data journalism conference
The California Civic Data Coalition is offering a scholarship for a student or journalist from the state to attend the annual National Institute for Computer-Assisted Reporting (NICAR) conference, scheduled for Jacksonville, Florida from March 2-5, 2017.
The winner will join our leadership team at the world’s top data journalism conference for training and discussion with hundreds of others in the field.
Past NICAR conferences have been home to a series of events for our team. We’re looking to show their fruits this year by debuting several data products. We’ll also be offering a new training session on rapid data analysis with the Python programming language.
The winning scholar will be invited to all of our events and free to enjoy the rest of the conference as they see fit.
Here’s how it works. If you qualify, please apply today.
What’s the deal?
- Our scholarship will cover all costs of airfare, registration and lodging. You will be on your own for food, cabs and anything else you do.
Who can apply?
- Any student, journalist or aspiring journalist based in California with an interest in analyzing money in state politics.
How can I apply?
- Click here and fill out the form. That’s all it takes.
Then what happens?
- Our team will review all the applications and get back to you with the next steps after our deadline of January 22.
What if I’m not from California?
- If you know someone from the state who would be a good candidate, please encourage them to apply.
- There are many other IRE-related fellowships and scholarships you can find on their site.
- We’ll be at NICAR teaching a class on data analysis with Python that’s open to anyone. If you’re attending and interested, sign up when the schedule is finalized.
- Sign up for our email newsletter to keep up with our work and future events.
What about this other thing?
If you have other questions, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or find us anytime in News Nerdery’s #california-civic-data Slack chat or in #californiacivicdata on Freenode IRC. If this is your first time on our site, you can learn more about the project on our about page.